It comes as no surprise to us that attendance at Missouri’s state parks and historic sites topped 18 million visitors last year. Whether you’re looking to connect with nature or explore the Show-Me State’s past, the state park system offers family fun and adventure that’s both close to home and affordable.
That’s why Rural Missouri is proud to again team up with Missouri State Parks and bring you the 3rd Annual Missouri Snapshots Photo Contest.
This year’s contest — which is open to all amateur photographers — features a couple brand-new categories, as well as the return of a category reserved just for shutterbugs age 17 and younger. We’re also offering the option of uploading your entries online using the website, Flickr.
In all six categories, a first-, second- and third-place photograph will be selected. Photographs will be judged on sharpness, composition, lighting, creativity and adherence to the category’s theme. The winning images will be published in the January 2014 issue of Rural Missouri.
Download an entry form today!
1. Capture the Beauty – Missouri’s state parks are blessed with an abundance of natural beauty: rolling prairies, rugged mountains and scenic rivers. Entries in this category should capture scenes worthy of a postcard.
2. Spend the Night – How do you pass the time when you’re “roughing it?” S’mores with the kids? Music around the campfire? Photograph the fun when you’re camping in a state park to win this category.
3. Catch Your Limit – Few moments are as thrilling as that first tug on your line, the tip of your pole bending toward the water. State parks offer unmatched opportunities to catch an array of game fish. Chronicle your catch to land the prize in this category.
4. Discover the Past – From covered bridges and mills to the homes of famous Missourians, history is everywhere in Missouri’s state park system. Creatively photograph that history, and you could be a winner.
5. Hit the Trails – With more than 800 miles of trails, Missouri’s state parks offer a perfect venue for your next hiking, biking or equestrian adventure. Entries in this category should feature scenes captured along a trail at a state park or historic site.
6. Share the Wonder – Take your young shutterbugs to a state park and watch their eyes dance with wonder. This category is for kids age 17 and under who may enter photos of any park activity, wildlife or scenery.
1. Photographs must have been taken at one of Missouri’s 87 state parks or historic sites. For a complete list of parks, visit www.mostateparks.com.
2. Photographs must depict activities that conform to Missouri State Parks rules and regulations. Photos depicting unauthorized activities will be disqualified.
3. Photographers may enter up to five photos in a category but no more than 15 photos total for the contest. Do not enter the same photo in more than one category.
4. All photographs must either be uploaded to the “2013 Missouri Snapshots Photo Contest” group on Flickr (www.flickr.com/groups/mo-snapshots13) or entered as unmounted, 8-by-10-inch prints. Prints will not be returned.
5. A completed entry form must be attached to the back of every print entered. Online entries must be tagged with the appropriate category name. A caption containing the title of the entry and the name of the park where the photo was taken also should be included. Omitting any of this information may result in disqualification.
6. Photos may be color or black and white. Those that have been digitally altered beyond basic editing and toning will not be accepted.
7. Photographers may win no more than one first-place prize. Winning photographs from previous year’s Missouri Snapshots photo contests are ineligible for the contest.
8. Send entries to: Missouri Snapshots Photo Contest, 2722 E. McCarty St., Jefferson City, MO 65101 or submit online via Flickr. The deadline to enter is Friday, Oct. 25, 2013.
Employees of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Missouri’s electric cooperatives and their immediate families are ineligible to win.
Categories 1-5 (adults)
1st Place – Each first-place photographer will win a Missouri State Park Getaway Package that will be tailored to the winner’s recreational interests. Valued at $500, the package will include lodging, meals and a state park activity.
2nd Place – Each second-place photographer will win a $100 Missouri State Parks gift card.
3rd Place – Each third-place photographer will win a a $50 Missouri State Parks gift card.
Category 6 (youth)
1st Place – $100 State Parks gift card
2nd Place – $50 State Parks gift card
3rd Place – $25 State Parks gift card