Missourians have an abundance of outdoor activities available to them throughout the Show-Me State. But for more than a century, one of their best options available has been a visit to a Missouri state park or historic site. The Missouri State Parks system is arguably one of the finest in the nation. The parks are no secret to Missourians. They were as popular as ever the past few years as families were eager to get outdoors. More than 21.5 million people visited the parks and historic sites in 2021, a 6% increase over the prior year. And undoubtedly, most of them took a picture or two.
For the 12th consecutive year, Rural Missouri is honored to welcome Missouri State Parks back as the sponsor of the Missouri Snapshots Photo Contest. The contest draws top-notch photographers showcasing their artistic work.
Open to amateur photographers of all ages, this contest features five categories. All eligible photos must be entered online at www.ruralmissouri.org/photo-contest. The first-, second- and third-place photographs will be published in the February 2023 issue of Rural Missouri. First-place winners will receive a Missouri State Parks Getaway Package valued at $500. Second- and third-place winners will receive Missouri State Parks gift cards valued at $100 and $50, respectively.
Photographs must be taken at a Missouri state park or historic site. Entries will be judged on sharpness, composition, lighting, creativity and adherence to the category’s theme. Deadline to enter is Nov. 15, 2022. Questions about the contest may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Making Memories – S’mores with your grandkids? A hike with your pup? Your first big catch? It’s not hard to make lasting memories with loved ones at any of Missouri’s state parks or historic sites.
Capture the Beauty – Missouri’s state parks and historic sites are blessed with an abundance of natural beauty: rolling prairies, rugged mountains and scenic rivers. Entries should capture scenes worthy of a postcard.
Discover the Past – From covered bridges and mills to the homes of famous Missourians, history is everywhere in Missouri’s state park system. Creatively photograph it and you could be a winner.
Fun on the Water – Missouri’s state parks are perfect for those who are aquatically inclined. Whether it’s fishing, tackling one of the park’s water trails, sailing or swimming, take home the prize by capturing your perfect day on the water.
Camping in the Parks – Who needs a hotel? Park guests racked up more than 382,000 nights camping in Missouri’s state parks in 2021. Highlight the allure of a night under the stars and you could be well on your way to planning your trip for next year.
1. Photos must be taken at a Missouri state park or historic site. For a complete list, visit www.mostateparks.com.
2. Photographs must depict activities that conform to Missouri State Parks rules and regulations.
3. If you earn any income with your photography, please refrain from entering. You can enter up to five photos per category, but no more than 15 photos total.
4. Mailed entries won’t be considered. All photos must be entered online at www.ruralmissouri.org/photo-contest.
5. Entries must include information in all data fields.
6. Digitally altered photos beyond basic editing and toning and photos with watermarks won’t be considered.
7. Photographers may win no more than one first-place prize. Winning images from previous year’s Missouri Snapshots photo contests are ineligible.
8. Employees of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Missouri’s electric cooperatives and their immediate families are ineligible to win.
9. By entering the contest, photographers give Rural Missouri and Missouri State Parks permission to publish the images.
10. The deadline to enter is Nov. 15, 2022.