The rules for this year’s contest are as follows:
1. Photographs must have been taken at one of Missouri’s state parks or historic sites. For a complete list of parks, visit www.mostateparks.com.
2. Photographs must depict activities that conform to Missouri State Parks rules and regulations.
3. The contest is for amateurs only. If you earn any income with your photography, please refrain from entering. Up to five photos per category can be entered. Do not enter the same photo in more than one category. Judges reserve the right to move a photo to a different category.
4. Photos must be entered at: www.ruralmissouri.coop/photocontest.php by Oct. 31, 2019.
5. Entries must include information in all data fields. Omitting any may result in disqualification.
6. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond basic editing and toning will be disqualified.
7. Judges reserve the right to re-categorize entries on a case-buy-case basis.
8. Photographers may win no more than one first-place prize. Winning images from previous year’s Missouri Snapshots photo contests are ineligible.
9. Employees of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Missouri’s electric cooperatives and their immediate families are ineligible to win.
10. By entering the contest, photographers give Rural Missouri and Missouri State Parks permission to publish the images.
11.The deadline to enter is Oct. 31, 2020.
A first-, second- and third-place photograph will be selected in each category and published in the January 2021 issue of Rural Missouri. Entries will be judged on sharpness, composition, lighting, creativity and adherence to the category’s theme. This year’s categories include:
1. Making Memories – S’mores with your grandson? Your daughter’s first hike? Reeling in your biggest catch? It’s not hard to make lasting memories with loved ones at any of Missouri’s 88 state parks or historic sites.
2. Capture the Beauty – Missouri’s state parks and historic sites are blessed with an abundance of natural beauty: rolling prairies, rugged hills and scenic rivers. Entries should capture scenes worthy of a postcard or a canvas print on the wall.
3. Hit the Trails – With nearly 1,000 miles of managed trails, Missouri’s state parks offer a perfect venue for your next hiking, biking, off-road or equestrian adventure. Entries in this category should feature scenes captured along a trail at a state park or historic site.
4. Fun on the Water – Missouri’s state parks are perfect for those who are aquatically inclined. Whether it’s fishing, kayaking, sailing, swimming or just getting your toes wet, take home the prize by capturing your perfect day on the water or at the beach.
5. Camping in the Parks – Who needs a hotel? Park guests racked up more than 315,000 nights camping in Missouri’s state parks in 2019. Highlight the allure of a night under the stars and you could be well on your way to planning your trip for next year.